Opportunity Removes Barrier for Homeless Students in the Twin Cities
As the cost of college grows, research shows that so does the number of hungry and homeless students at colleges and universities across the country. Open Your Heart to the Hungry and Homeless is offering 15, $2,000 scholarships for the 2021-2022 school year to Minneapolis Community and Technical College (MCTC) students who are currently homeless or have experienced homelessness in the past two years. Funds can be used for education or living expenses.
With demand for technical and skilled trade positions at an all-time high, and with MCTC’s nearly 100% job placement rates for students graduating from their career and technical education (CTE) programs, Open Your Heart is confident that the benefits of this scholarship are twofold. In addition to filling high-demand jobs, students are offered a real and permanent escape from a homeless life.
Scholarship Award Amount
15 scholarships of $2,000 will be awarded for the 2021-2022 school year.
August 10, 2021
- Student must be currently homeless or have experienced homelessness in the past two years as defined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. (Homeless person is an individual without permanent housing who may live on streets, stay in shelter, mission, Single Room Occupancy facility, vehicle, abandoned building, or in any other unstable or non-permanent situation.)
- Student must carry at least 9 credits to qualify.
- Student must have minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Preference for students who have been recommended by MCTC faculty, MCTC Student Support Center staff, the student’s employer, or homeless service agency staff.
- Preference for students who need funds for books, materials, fees, and living expenses as opposed to tuition.
How to Apply
Contact MCTC to apply. Only students enrolled in MCTC will be able to apply.